Pages

HOLLY MIRANDA SMALE

Writer, photographer, "rapper" and general technophobe takes on the internet in what could be a very, very messy fight. But it's alright: she's harder than she looks, and she's wearing every single ring she could get her hands on.







.








Wednesday 23 September 2009

Shoulders

Today, finally, I received an email from my little sister. Five weeks, and not a bleep; she is citing moving house as a legitimate reason for the silence, apparently.

3/4 of a mile, I pointed out. You moved 3/4 of a bloody mile. If you stand on your tiptoes you can still see the roof of the old flat. 
It's very hard work, my sister responded, ignoring me. Our sofa is heavy.
I moved 6,000 miles and still managed an email, I answered in a sulk
You weren't carrying a sofa. It's taken weeks to be able to feel my hands properly again. Anyway - I've been reading the blog, and you've not answered any of the things I really want to know. 
Maybe you should have emailed me then, I typed back. 
Are you going to sulk about that for the rest of the time you're out there? she asked. 
I thought about it for a little bit.
No, I eventually, sticking out my tongue at the computer.
Don't make that face at me, she wrote. I can't see you but I know you're doing it. Anyway: the first question is... 
I quickly braced myself for some soul searching, which basically involves revolving my shoulders a couple of times and eating a piece of chocolate.
What's it like being taller than everyone? she asked.
I stared at the computer screen; the shoulder rotation had clearly been a total waste of muscle exertion.
Eh? I said.
Well you're taller than everyone, right? You're five foot ten. And blonde. What's that like?
Um. I thought about it. I'm taller than most people in London too, I pointed out.
But do people stare? 
Yes, I said. But I'm staring at everyone too, so it's ok. 
Do people say anything?
Sometimes, but I can't understand most of it. 
Second question. What's the food like? Is it all sushi?
No, I replied. But there is a lot of sushi. And fish. And rice. There's also crisps and chocolate and pot noodles and pasta and pesto and curry, just like in England.
Cool, mum won't die when she visits then. Ok, third question: is there Manga everywhere?
Tara, I said, Japan isn't just one big cliche you know.
But is there? she wrote.
Yes, I admitted after a short pause.
What about those games where they hit buttons and dance around? Are there lots of them?
Yes.
Is everyone very good at it?
The people who do it are.
What about those girls in crazy clothes? Are there loads of them? Do they all look like dolls?
Not really. Most of the girls are dressed like London girls. Only better.
Are the kids you teach adorable? Are they tiny? And have you tried to nick one?
I stared at the screen again. 
Mostly and mostly and no, I said. 
In what order? my sister typed back immediately.
In that order, I replied. 
I think I would try and steal one, she said. Maybe you can nab one at the end of your year there. Stick them in your suitcase. Ok, most important question....
Mmm, I wrote dubiously. Is it about shoes? 
Oooh! she said. It wasn't, but do they have nice shoes?
Very. I don't fit them, but you might. They're not too expensive either.
There was a silence while Tara pondered that fact. I might visit after all, she decided eventuallyOk, so, most important question, Oh Lady of Bad Romantic Luck. Boys. Met any cute ones? 
There was a pause while I wondered just how much to tell her. While I wondered whether to admit that I had met somebody; when it could jinx it, or fall through, or make me look foolish or naiive or stupid if it all went wrong. That - after three years of being on my own - I might not actually be on my own anymore. And that I wasn't quite sure how to deal with that, and so was quite possibly hiding it from everybody, including myself.
I rotated my shoulders a few times, and decided that it was probably time to answer the most important question. Even if briefly, for now.
Yes, I admitted finally. One. 
And then I ate a piece of chocolate.