Pages

HOLLY MIRANDA SMALE

Writer, photographer, "rapper" and general technophobe takes on the internet in what could be a very, very messy fight. But it's alright: she's harder than she looks, and she's wearing every single ring she could get her hands on.







.








Tuesday 3 August 2010

Honesty

There is nothing I like in this world as much as honesty. Especially when it comes at the expense of the people offering it.

I'm on my long journey home now: I leave in 20 minutes, and won't be in England for another 24 hours. 24 hours of sitting: on buses, on trains, in airport lounges, in Seoul, in hostels. So it's obviously important which hostel I choose to sit in.

We are sorry, but our rooms are very small.
This was on the main page of one of the youth hostels in Fukuoka. I scrolled down a little further.
We are sorry, but our rooms are very hot. And our reception is very hot. We do not have air conditioning.
Impressed by the candidness of the hostel, I read a little further.
We are very sorry, but our guests say that one of our staff members is boring and creepy.
At which point I burst out laughing and immediately booked a room.

Long journeys are tiring and extremely dull. If I can jazz it up a little by staying in the world's most honest establishment, then I'm going to do just that.

It's going to be a small, hot and creepy night. And I'm really quite looking forward to it.