Pages

HOLLY MIRANDA SMALE

Writer, photographer, "rapper" and general technophobe takes on the internet in what could be a very, very messy fight. But it's alright: she's harder than she looks, and she's wearing every single ring she could get her hands on.







.








Sunday 20 December 2009

Gardens

When you're sitting comfortably, the foundations beneath you can often go unnoticed. Perched where it feels nice, the rot eats away until you wake up one morning and realise that you've fallen through to the bottom.

This might be true of life and love - yes - but, unfortunately, it's also true of my futon: a futon that is quite literally, physically and not in the slightest bit metaphorically covered in mould.

I had no idea. Not even the faintest inkling. I've been happily sleeping inches away from a green, wet, festering layer of something that smells not very nice: all the while congratulating myself on the nice, tidy state of my flat and the fact that I now do my washing up at least every other day. Worse - and this is truly disgusting - it's a mould that must have grown from the steam from my showers, the sweat from my nightmares, the damp from my breath and the vapour from my hideous attempts at cooking: in short, it's my mould. Mould grown from me. And I've been rolling around on top of it, wondering why all was not right with the world. Indeed, I wouldn't have found it at all if I hadn't decided to do a Christmas Clean and sweep 'under my bed'; something I've never done before, and wouldn't have thought about if I hadn't spilled a cup of coffee under there a couple of days ago. (I once witnessed my father vacuuming around a sock: I was not brought up to clean properly.)

Everything suddenly makes sense. I've been falling asleep and writing and waking up on a rotten bed; I've been visiting Onsens and scrubbing myself red raw and squeaky clean, and then putting on my pyjamas and lying on top of mould. I've made dreams on a foundation of something green and slimy: how could I expect any of them to come true?

Of course, it turns out - now that I've done a little research - that a Japanese futon is not a western mattress: it needs tatami mats (which I don't have), and to be aired daily (which I don't do), and to be put away in cupboards during the day (which I don't have, or do). A couple of months of just changing the bedding, apparently, leaves you with some kind of botanical garden in your bedroom; one that means you have to spend the night on the wooden floor with a blanket, because you've now got nothing else to sleep on.

At least it's forced me to do what I may never otherwise have done: to scrub every inch of my flat, instead of just waving a broom at the centre parts of it. It's ensured that I will never again cat lick my flat, and consider it clean. And - even more importantly - it's made sure that this time, it really is a fresh start when I wake up tomorrow morning. And that the next time I dream, it's going to be on something that doesn't have rot in the middle of it.