Pages

HOLLY MIRANDA SMALE

Writer, photographer, "rapper" and general technophobe takes on the internet in what could be a very, very messy fight. But it's alright: she's harder than she looks, and she's wearing every single ring she could get her hands on.







.








Wednesday 1 April 2009

Fool's Gold

This morning, I'm off to buy every single newspaper I can get my hands on. I'm convinced that the world would be a much happier place if news was intermingled with pranks and make-believe every single day: partly because it makes it feel like the whole country is laughing together, partly because it makes the rest of the news seem a little more balanced, and partly because it makes everybody actually read the news with their brains switched on, just in case they're being tricked. Which is the way news should be read, at all times. Because - having worked in PR for two years - I can say with some certainty that we often are anyway, whether or not it's April the First.

Last year, there was a photo of penguins, migrating. The year before that, it was a giant mushroom. This year, Goodness only knows what they'll come up with. April the 1st is like being involved in a Roald Dahl story, and I can't think of a world I'd rather be in. It's almost as good as Christmas.