Pages

HOLLY MIRANDA SMALE

Writer, photographer, "rapper" and general technophobe takes on the internet in what could be a very, very messy fight. But it's alright: she's harder than she looks, and she's wearing every single ring she could get her hands on.







.








Tuesday 17 March 2009

Another TBJITW mistake...

Just realised: I'm not talking about the reef enough in interviews. I'm just talking about me. I guess part of it is because it's one of those things that seems so blindingly obvious you forget to mention it, a bit like body odour. "Why do you want the job?" should be answered: "because The Great Barrier Reef is the most beautiful place in the world and has 1,500 species of fish and thirty species of whales, dolphins and porpoises and it has turquoise sea and white sand and sunshine and - as far as I can tell - the UK is not known for its animal diversity or beautiful weather, and if you try to island-hop or cave dive around Dover you'll end up frozen like a summer lolly."

But I guess it seemed like it almost went without saying - The Great Barrier Reef is the most beautiful place in the world and it does have an awful lot of fish and co - so the question that I was really hearing was "why on earth should you be allowed to go there? Not just to work, but actually at all? *Pauses and turns to co-presenter* Is there any way we can prevent this girl from getting a visa?"

Bugger.

The other thing is, I think, that I've just gotten caught up in this mad swirl of 'vote for me, vote for me', and I've lost track of what I wanted the job for in the first place. Because of the island. Because I wanted somewhere that would inspire me, and because the island would do that. It's strange: how quickly you can lose track of what you really want or think, just because you're being pulled in too many directions at once. It's been so focused on 'Holly! Sell yourself!' that I've forgotten that I never wanted this job so that it would be about me. I wanted it so that I could write about something else. My natural instincts have been crushed completely, and I've ended up becoming someone I don't like: someone that's all about themselves.

And yes. The irony of writing a blog about yourself talking about yourself is almost too much for me to handle. It's so post-modern my head is going to fall off.